Thursday, December 2, 2010

a real pilgrim's meal

Well...here goes with the reminiscing! Along the trail we ate alot of interesting meals (a large number including chorizo and some sort of cheese) but there is one meal that stands out to me as a 'real pilgrims meal'. It came about after a long day near the end of our walk. We had just finished our amazing side trip to Tresviso, and were starting back on the trail in Lugo. I don't remember much of the trail that day other than that there was a lot of walking through small villages and on pavement. The walk seemed to last especially long that day, partly because we weren't exactly sure where the next albergue was. At long last Dan, Jes, and I made it to Seixas, with my dad was still somewhere back on the trail. There was not much to Seixas other than the almost brand new hostel in which we stayed. Only problem with this fine facility was that there was no food, and the nearest store was 4(?) km back. All we had left of our food from the day was some lettuce and cucumber. Some very kind pilgrims provided us with bread and jam, but it still did not make for much of a meal. I forgot to mention that along the trail that day were a very large number of blackberry bushes from which Jes and I helped ourselves. So Jes decided that since we didn't have much food, she would go pick some berries. And so she came back with a huge pot of the most delicious blackberries I've ever had. (That opinion may be slightly biased by the fact that I was very hungry.) So in the end, after my dad had finally stumbled into the hostel, we had the most wonderful pilgrims meal consisting of lettuce, cucumber, blackberries, and bread. It may not have been the most filling, but it certainly was one of the most memorable meals of the trip.

One more thing to mention. It turns out that a delivery truck comes to the hostel every night with all sorts of food and drink available to buy. So our pilgrim's meal was supplemented with a well received six pack of beer, some cookies, and some juice. Oh, the pilgrim life!


1 comment:

  1. great photos! where did you get the recipe?

    ReplyDelete