Sunday, June 13, 2010

Preparation...

It's hard for me to grasp the fact that I am really going on this trip. I feel like I'm going through the motions of preparing the physical aspects, but my mind has not yet prepared itself. I've gotten the boots, the backpack, the socks, and the shorts, but there is nothing I can buy to prepare my mental self. I've accepted the fact that perhaps there is no preparing, and that it will only fully sink in when I take my first step of the pilgrimage and wonder what I've gotten myself into. It occurred to me yesterday that we are leave for Barcelona in less than a month, which seems like barely any time at all. I'm started to feel excitement, but also a few twinges of fear when I think about the hours and days of walking that lay ahead. Athleticism has never been my strong point, but I hope that my will and desire to complete this pilgrimage will be enough to override any pain or tiredness that will accompany it. The sight seeing and opportunity to travel in Europe are exciting aspects, but more than that I hope that this trip will be a time for me to contemplate and reflect on my life and what I want to do for the next phase of it.

2 comments:

  1. mentally, the hardest part was over when you decided to go!

    ReplyDelete